High Octane Corrective Exercise and Performance Enhancement | www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Planned Recovery is Key

I can't tell you how many people I know who DON'T plan recovery into their training.

And I'm not just talking day to day recovery. I'm talking about going with balls-out intensity day after day, and week after week until they either get injured or burn out.

For beginners, you can probably get by with an unload week every 6-8 weeks of training. Could you go longer? Maybe. But why bother? You might as well get in the habit of taking planned recovery weeks now.

For the more advanced trainees, I'd recommend an unload week every 3-4 weeks at the latest. When under high levels of stress outside of the gym, some of my best progress occurs when I alternate loading and unloading weeks on a 1:1 ratio!

Regardless of what you decide on, planned recovery is one of the simplest things you can do to keep yourself healthy and seeing progress.

Who ever would've thought I'd have to ask you to take some time off? ;)

Mike Robertson

No comments: