High Octane Corrective Exercise and Performance Enhancement | www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com

Monday, April 14, 2008

Clean it up

Sorry, it's been a little while since I've blogged, but hopefully this little rant will help make up for things.

As an industry, we need to clean things up. Whether we're talking about training, fitness on the 'net, or anything in between, I've reached a boiling point with regards to how people portray themselves.

First, an admission - I watch "The Biggest Loser." My clients watch it, therefore I watch it to diffuse whatever crazy notions they have from watching the previous weeks shows. First of all, that is NOT how most trainers train their clients. I can get in somebody's face and have them do walking lunges on flipped over bosu balls, but that doesn't mean it's right. Just because it looks cool on TV doesn't mean it's efficient or correct. I also have a tattoo, but I don't feel the need to have it blazing every time I train someone. It gets old, fast - at least try and look respectable.

And then we have the 'net. I understand there's a resentment towards the one-page sales copy ads to sell products, and I get that. I'm not a huge fan, although I still use them on some of my sites. BUT, there's a fundamental difference in many of us out there. You may not like my sales copy, but I do a lot of things FOR FREE to help improve the industry. I write articles. I post from time to time on my blog. I answer tons of e-mails daily. I even put up video clips to help people improve their exercise techinque.

Now don't take this the wrong way - I'm far from perfect in every aspect of my life. I'm not a perfect coach, author, or athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but I do take my job seriously. I want the people who read my articles to learn something. I want my athletes to get better at their respective sports. And most importantly, I want to enjoy the journey that makes all of that possible.

So this is a plea to all my fellow trainers, coaches, and internet gurus - take your job seriously. Does this thing THE RIGHT WAY. I realize this post may make me a lightning rod, but I'm ok with that. I have no regrets when I go to bed at night - I'm very cognizant of my imperfections and what it's going to take to get to the next level.

But until we start to take our jobs and our livelihoods seriously, we're always going to leave ourselves open to criticism.

Stay strong
MR

No comments: