High Octane Corrective Exercise and Performance Enhancement | www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Justin Ware Project

When I knew that I was going to start my own home gym, I knew that I would need two things - heavy weights, and a good training partner. The weights are the easy part; finding a good training partner is truly a blessing.

Luckily for me, one of my good powerlifting buddies from Ball State has moved to the area, and I immediately started getting on him to come train with me. Sure he's had some injuries along the way, but who hasn't? This is powerlifting after all, not stamp collecting!

So when he mentioned a while back that he needed some ART done, I had no reservations sending him to Bill Hartman. What I didn't expect was Bill's commentary on JW.

"I had to throw two hand grenades on his shoulders!"

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible: Justin is a mess. So Bill has set out to fix his upper body, and I've set out to fix his lower body. This may sound easy, but I assure you it's not.

Justin did his first low body workout last week; this consisted of some serious foam rolling, hip flexor stretching/glute activation, and a few other things to start cleaning up his lower body posture and movement patterns. I thought the foam roller alone was going to crush him! This just goes to show that a little soft-tissue work goes a long way, people. Even if you don't have access to ART, massage, etc., get a foam roller and get to work!

So I'm going to do my best to keep you all up-to-date on how Justin is progressing. My goal is to get him to a point in the next 4-6 months where he can train seriously without having to worry about injuring himself. And yes, he's really that bad off!

Stay tuned and I'll keep you posted - this should be interesting.

Stay strong
MR

No comments: